"Psych: The Musical" is a season seven episode of Psych, but it aired as a two-hour special on December 15, 2013, at 9/8c, outside of the rest of the season. The events of the episode occur before Lassie & Marlowe's wedding.
As the title suggests, it is a musical.
Shawn and Gus track down playwright madman named Z (Anthony Rapp), who six years earlier was deemed criminally insane after locking a critic in a back room of the theater that he burned to the ground, and who has been locked in a mental institution since. Shawn and Gus are forced to consult with the one person Z confided in while in the institution, a dangerous villain from Shawn's past.
- "Santa Barbara Skies"
- "Z's Lament"
- "I've Heard It Both Ways"
- "Sleigh Bells and Songs"
- "(When You're) Making Up a Song"
- "Often It's the Opposite (Pt. 1)"
- "Often It's the Opposite (Pt. 2)"
- "I Hurt No One"
- "I've Heard It Both Ways (Reprise 1)"
- "Santa Barbara Skies (Reprise)"
- "I've Heard It Both Ways (Reprise 2)"
- "Promised Land"
- "Shawn's Breakdown"
- "Gus in the Spotlight"
- "The Surrender"
- "Jamaican Inspector"
Filming for "Psych: The Musical" began on October 2, 2012. The DVD was released on December 17, 2013.
- Anthony Rapp is known for originating the role of "Mark Cohen" in the musical Rent and reprising the role in the movie of the same name.
- Barry Bostwick is known as the original "Danny Zuko" from the famed Broadway production of Grease (John Travolta's role in the movie) and "Brad" from the 1975 film of The Rocky Horror Picture Show.
- Ally Sheedy starred as "Hedwig" in the musical Hedwig and the Angry Inch in the later half of 1999 until she quit after her erratic behavior prompted the producers to ask her to leave. The show closed in April 2000 and almost exactly 14 years later, had its Broadway premiere with Neil Patrick Harris playing the role of Hedwig for which he won the Tony Award.
- Within the timeline of the series, the episode takes place prior to the Vicellio-Lassiter wedding.
The gallery for ' 'Psych: The Musical can be found here.